An annexation is a procedure established by state law (NDCC 40-51.2) in which property is included within the city limits.  Typically, this is required for any new development in order to tie into existing city services, such as water, sewer, and police and fire protection.  The process outlined in the flowchart is for applicant/property owner-initiated annexations; not when the City of Mandan initiates an annexation.   
Conditional/Special Use
To provide flexibility and ensure harmony between land owners, the Board of City Commissioners finds it necessary to require that certain uses, because of unusual size, safety hazards, infrequent occurrence, effect on surrounding area or other reasons, be reviewed by the planning and zoning commission prior to the board voting on whether or not to approve the use at a specific site.
Some uses contain additional standards that must be met in order to be considered for approval. Meeting these standards does not guarantee approval of a special/conditional use permit being granted, as existing adjacent land uses are unique to each application.
Final Plat
The final plat is the follow-up and official document that shows the lot and road layout within a subdivision. It also provides for all of the numerous signatures that are required, as well as effects public road and easement dedication to the respective interested party. Between the preliminary and final plat is the grading, stormwater, and road design that is generally required. The final plat reflects approvals of those documents as well and entitles a property to with individual rights for each lot as provided for by the zoning district or respective ordinance pertaining to the subject property.
Future Land Use Map Amendment 
The future land use map shows the planned uses for land and major road corridors within the City, extraterritorial area, and beyond as is reasonable to expect will become part of or heavily interact with the City in the near and long-term. Planning where certain uses will be in the future allows the City to ensure adequate services are provided to area residents and that harmony is preserved among property owners. Certain areas and larger parcels lend themselves to be reevaluated for certain land uses. Smaller lots within a larger area, unless directly adjacent to the requested land use designation or at or near a planned major intersection, are unlikely to be successful in amending the future land use map of the City.
Masterplanned Subdivision
For any property for which the applicant owns adjacent property and it is reasonable to believe it will be developed in phases, the applicant shall be required to submit a masterplan for the entire area of ownership. A masterplanned subdivision is required to be submitted with a preliminary plat. No masterplanned subdivision application will be accepted without the first phase preliminary plat submitted in conjunction.
Minor Plat
A minor plat is a process that allows property owners to perform relatively simple property divisions and consolidations without the more involved engineering analysis that occurs with a standard subdivision. Minor plats are limited to:
  • Four acres or less.
  • No new public rights-of-way.
  • No revisions to existing water and sanitary sewer service connections.
  • Creation of no more than two additional lots.

Preliminary Plat
A preliminary plat is a process that allows the City to evaluate a relatively conceptual lot and road layout for a proposed subdivision. Utility locations, road names, and spacing between intersections are a part of what is evaluated prior to a full engineering analysis, including grading, storm water, and road design that are handled between the preliminary and final plats. A preliminary plat provides multiple departments and agencies a chance to address potential issues that may arise from the creation of new lots.
Right-of-way Vacation
There are times when property is dedicated to the City with an intent to construct roadways or other infrastructure at a future time.  Occasionally, the City's need of property for these purposes may change.  Several steps are necessary in order for the City to relinquish property to adjacent property owners.  These include: 
  1. A meeting is held between the petitioner or petitioner’s representative, City Engineer, and City Planner to discuss the proposed vacation and vacation procedures.
  2. Petitioner submits the Development Application with signatures from all adjoining property owners, a to-scale map of the proposed vacation, and the associated application fee. 
  3. The vacation request goes before the Board of City Commissioners to consider holding a public hearing at future date.  At this time the Board may deny, table, or schedule a public hearing for the request.
  4. If approved by the Board of City Commissioners, a notice of public hearing is published in the official newspaper for four (4) consecutive weeks prior to the public hearing.  The first publication must take place at least 30 days prior to the public hearing.
  5. All property owners within 300 feet of the area to be vacated are notified by letter.
  6. The public hearing is held and the Board decides to approve, deny, or table the vacation.
  7. If the Board approves the vacation, a resolution is passed by the Board which requires a vote of 2/3 of the members. The resolution contains a legal description of the area to be vacated.
  8. If the vacation is approved, a notice is published in the official newspaper and the vacation is filed with the county recorder.

On appeal from an order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official, the Board of City Commissioners may vary or adjust the strict application of any of the requirements of this chapter in the case of an exceptionally irregular, narrow, shallow, or steep lot or other exceptional physical or topographical condition, by reason of which the strict application of the provisions of the chapter would result in unnecessary hardship that would deprive the owner of a reasonable use of the land or building involved, but in no other case.
Zoning Amendment
A zoning change is a procedure established by state law (NDCC 40-47) and included in the Mandan Municipal Code (Chapter 105-1-13) in which the zoning district of a piece of property in the city or the extraterritorial jurisdiction is changed.

To find a property’s current zoning please use the zoning map by clicking here. The map will allow you to search by address or parcel number. The flow chart illustrates the process to obtain a zoning amendment (rezone) which requires approval by the Board of City Commissioners. Not all applications are approved.